Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Building love

I still don't understand the rash of EU prizes (and am pleasantly surprised that the Sycophancy prize has been denounced in the Budget Committee.
Mr Itala, a pro-European MEP, has also been angered over a "paternalist" prize for journalism, worth £17,500 a year, to reward press coverage that "promoted a better understanding of the EU".
"I really don't understand why we are giving money to journalists whose task should be to be critical of EU institutions. It is not my idea of democracy," he said.
"I really don't understand why we are giving money to journalists whose task should be to be critical of EU institutions. It is not my idea of democracy," he said.
But don't worry, one might get slated but there are all sorts of other ideas on which to waste your cash. This time they are bunging your money at architects.

After all this list of jobbing builders are hardly on the poor side, so why is the Commission co funding the €60 000 prize? It is not as if there aren't plenty of awards out there already.

It is not, and I repeat myself, not the business of a political construct to decide what is and isn't good art. Nor good pop music, nor anything of the sort. It is just wrong, and suspect and should be stopped.

No comments:

Twitter