Sunday, February 18, 2007

The shock is that anybody might be suprised

Writing in the Mail today, Robin Aitken flags up his new book, Can We Trust The BBC? in a devastating critique of what he describes as a form of "institutionally Leftist".
This follows on from the Daily's editor Paul Dacre who lashed out at the Corporation in January.

I pick out one or two key points,
"In 1984 I returned to BBC Scotland after covering the Tory conference in Brighton. The IRA had come close to assassinating Margaret Thatcher with a bomb and the country was in shock.

Apart, that is, from some of my BBC colleagues. "Pity they missed the bitch," one confided to me".

and,
That was coupled with a devotion to the European ideal. I remember arguing with a senior editor about the Maastricht Treaty and saying it was an issue of democracy, not economics. He told me I was mad.

Read the whole thing.

No comments:

Twitter