Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sauce.. goose..gander

This was brought to my attention a few days ago by Tim Prater, a Lib Dem Councillor for Folkstone



And I sort of agree with  him when he tweeted that it was not  really on,
Party politics at remembrance? Jeez.
But blow me down what did I find today at the ceremony in Kennington Park?



So Councillor, will you have words with your colleagues in Southwark? After all as you say
How anyone from UKIP thought a political poppy wreath was a good idea I don't know. Even the #teaparty would be ashamed.
Oh yes and I am prepared to bet that the UKIP members who put the wreath paid for theirs. What is the betting that the council tax payers of Southwark paid for the Lib Dem wreath?

5 comments:

Dick Puddlecote said...

I think they call that "touché". ;)

Anonymous said...

What does it say on the cards?

Old Codger said...

As long as it is paid for by either the individuals or the group in whose name the wreath is placed I see no objection. It represents a group act of rememberance. That these examples were political groups is, in my view, irrelevant. However, if the individuals got someone else to pay that is totally unacceptable.

Gawain Towler said...

Old C, I do take your point.

I am a little old fashioned and unconmfortable with corporeate grief from organisations that are not directly related (RBL - Regimental associations etc) but it is no great crime.

Getting the taxpayer to fund your public displays of care is however wrong, as we discovered a number of MPs did through the expenses scandal.

The cards are unreadable, except the ogo and the "Liberal Democrat"

Vote Derek Bennett Walsall South said...

The Walsall UKIP branch always lay a wreath on Remembrance Sunday. The wreath is purchased from the local British Legion and an additional donation is added to the fee.

We write a simple message on the card showing our gratitude to all those who have given so much in many wars for us and sign it as the Walsall UKIP branch.

This is not political just showing respect in the same way other organisations do. It is also a privilege.

Twitter