Thursday, July 15, 2010

There is more joy in heaven

So to that end I congratulate Sir Bryan Nicholson, chairman of the Financial Reporting Council who alone amongst a group of prominent business men contacted by the BBC has changed his tune on Euro membership.

Here is Sir Bryan back in 1996,
Sir Bryan Nicholson seems to enjoy mixing his metaphors as much as mixing it with the Eurosceptic wing of the Tory Party. Last night he was in flying form, deriding them as a flock of cuckoos transmuting into a plague of locusts. You get the general idea.

This is him yesterday,
"the balance of the argument has now shifted against the UK joining the Euro".

The BBC spoke to eight business leaders prominent in the pro-euro campaign and only Nicholson has changed his mind.

I can only ask, with Maynard Keynes,
“When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?”

2 comments:

BarryS said...

I also welcome the change of mind by Sir Bryan Nicholson. The only difference is I don't believe the facts have changed in any way at all. The euro is unworkable for such a diverse grouping of countries in the long run and always was.

Gawain Towler said...

Fair point, well made

Twitter