Thursday, April 13, 2006

A Loyal Toast

We all know that the Queen is getting on a bit, indeed she is getting on a lot. But what I didn't know is that she has recently taken another group of people under her purple wings. Ukrainians.
It goes something like this. The monarch is related to, and descended from 37 royal houses in Europe and Asia. One of these houses is the Royal House of Saint Volodymyr the Great of Kyivan-Rus.
Armed with this knowledge the Ukrainian community in the UK recently petitioned Buckingham Palace for the permission to formulate their own loyal toast.
After some research on the part of the palace the petition was granted.
Ladies and gentlemen, can I ask you to charge your glasses for the loyal toast, I give you,

"The Queen, Descendant of Saint Volodymyr the Great of Kyiv".

3 comments:

The Aunt said...

I bet if HM is a descendant of the good Saint, so am I.

Actually I probably am anyway, I'm a bend sinister descendant of George IV.

They should toast me. In vodka. With those terribly fetching jackets on. Oh yes.

Anonymous said...

There are many things British that Ukrainians can toast - one is the Welsh reporter who refuted Duranty and Stalin.

http://www.garethjones.org/

Gawain Towler said...

My dear Aunt,
Consider yourself toasted.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, please raise yor glasses to the Aunt, decendent of St Vlodymyr".

Twitter